Monday, January 9, 2012
We found a house that we love... And we're moving into it this weekend. We cleaned our garage out on Sunday and took a load to the new house today after work.
I'll probably be on a short hiatus for about a week while we get Internet set up at the new place.
Best thing about the new house... Our gym is on the corner (like 1/2 mi from our house) and there's a community pool that we can use in the summer.
Saturday, January 7, 2012
I've realized that when I'm stressed, instead of indulging in fast food and telling myself "I deserve it" that I'd rather go to the gym and take my stress out on the treadmill or weights.
I love the new person I've become and I'm looking forward to an active future.
-I'm looking forward to riding a rollercoaster at DisneyLand next year and not secretly worrying that I won't fit in the seat.
- I'm looking forward to running my first 5K and not worrying about people thinking "look at that fat girl."
-I'm looking forward to shopping in the "normal" women sizes for the first time that I can remember.
I know that 2012 is MY year.
On another note, I did Zumba for the first time today. I loved it. I know I looked like a fool, but I don't care. I had fun and I broke a sweat.
Friday, December 30, 2011
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I set weight loss goals and stuck to them.
I got a contracted full-time job.
I taught (and am still) teaching 4th grade.
I went downtown and to the bars for the 1st time (lame, party of me)
Adopted a dog of my own.
I got my Master's Degree!!!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For the first time ever, I did!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not that I can think of.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My great uncle passed away in November.
5. What countries did you visit?
Didn't leave the country this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A new car.
More new friendships.
More financial stability.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 5th: I finished the coursework for my Master's Degree
June 6th: I got a full time job offer and adopted my dog.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Losing weight and continuing to go to the gym.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting enough money saved up to get into our own house before the end of the year. Some of it was my fault for frivolous spending and some of it was out of our hands.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Where did most of your money go?
Start-up costs for my new job-- Stocking a classroom is expensive.
13. What did you get really excited about?
New job and dog all in the same day.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
None are sticking out to me... I'm not really into music.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? I guess happier- I can see life moving in a better direction. – thinner or fatter? THINNER! – richer or poorer? Richer, just because I have a higher paying job than last year.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent more time with my husband. We don't see each other very much.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Crying and complaining.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Driving up to our cabin and then hanging with my family.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't read much this year... But I did just finish The Help and really enjoyed it.
21. What was your favorite music from this year? I got into the upbeat pop rock stuff just because it keeps me motivated when I'm running.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Hmm... I loved New Year's Eve, at least that's what is coming to mind right now.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 25 this year and I was jetboating with my family in Hells Canyon.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to buy a house.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Non-existent. I changed sizes too often so I just bought cheap.
26. What kept you sane? Training. Husband.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
I am strong and I can attain any goal that I want to achieve.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
No really... I did.
Well the park is called Camelsback because the park is completley flat and then all of a sudden there's this humongous hill and behind it is a bunch of trails. And at the top is an AWESOME view of the city.
Well my trainer has been talking for about a month that she wanted to take me out there "off the clock" and do a workout together but we needed to wait until the temps were in the 40s. So I thought "awesome, I've got until at least March to get my cardio endurance up for it." Well... Mother Nature is a bitch and has decided to not bring winter to Idaho yet.
So at 9:30 this morning I bundled up (it was only 30 degress at that time tyvm!) and headed to the park. Um... that hill is a lot bigger than I remember. And then she told me we'd be climbing it 3 times! Ha.
So we went straight to the hill and climbed it the first time. Kinda thought I was going to die... and then took one of the trails down. Went back to the start and she started timing... I made it in 4 minutes 50 seconds. Not great, not horrible. She told me that most people it takes 10-12 minutes to do the hill the first time (I'm not sure whether she was just saying that to be nice or not though.)
We took a different trail down that went up some more and then back down and then went to the tennis courts and did some lunges, skips, butt kicks and high knees. And then climbed the hill a 3rd time. I felt stronger the 3rd time than I did either time but I could tell my legs were about to give up on me. We took a different trail down and called it a day.
Total workout was 1 hour. And it was a killer. I'm sure I won't be moving tomorrow or even more so on Friday.
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Everything seemed to go pretty well. My blood pressure is down, but still on the borderline high side. This is to be expected, I'm overweight and it runs in my family. But she's not putting me on pills for it because I'm on birth control and that can cause some higher blood pressure.
However, I brought up my migraines. I get them... a lot. At first I thought they were just caffine withdrawls but it's been going on about a year now. I can go some time without them and then *wham* they hit again.
Anyway, I talked to her. She asked me what they felt like, where I felt them, if they affected my vision, etc. She checked my nerves in my brain responses (or something like that) and then determined that I could probably use some sort of medicine to help control them. However, she wouldn't prescribe me the pill that I can take and it gets rid of the migraine when I have it because it's known to raise blood pressure and that's too risky with my current borderline pressure and my family history.
So, she asked about my sleep patterns. And they suck. So she decided to put me on a very low dose of anti-depressant that is also used to prevent migraines. She said it should help me sleep (which could be a cause of the migraines) and hopefully will prevent them.
I'm hopeful that these pills help get rid of them (they've become pretty debilitating) but also scared that if they don't work, I have to start going in for testing to figure out WHY they're coming.
So here's to hoping that the pills help... And now it's off to the gym.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
I've been feeling pretty good about my trainer workouts... I've been sweaty and tired at the end but haven't walked out feeling like I was going to die. Well, all that changed today.
Trainer amped up my workout majorly today and almost had me on the floor puking. She took my step ups from my normal 50 step ups per leg to 100 per leg with 12.5lb weights in each hand.
I..was..dying. Or died. I don't know.
But I know she could tell she was about to lay me out on the floor. It didn't help that I didn't eat well today because I was dealing with students throughout the entire day with no breaks. My body is ticked.
But.. I think it's good. Now I have a new goal. 100 step ups on each leg with the 12.5lb weights and not wanting to die on the floor when it's over. I'm giving myself 3 weeks. I know I can do it.
Any new goals you've set for yourself?? Health and fitness related or not.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Now let's see if it helps my running skills. :)