A 20-something year old that's ready to find balance in all places in life.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Migraines

Today I had my yearly check-up with my doctor. She's really great and doesn't make me feel uncomfortable talking to her about anything.
Everything seemed to go pretty well. My blood pressure is down, but still on the borderline high side. This is to be expected, I'm overweight and it runs in my family. But she's not putting me on pills for it because I'm on birth control and that can cause some higher blood pressure.
However, I brought up my migraines. I get them... a lot. At first I thought they were just caffine withdrawls but it's been going on about a year now. I can go some time without them and then *wham* they hit again.
Anyway, I talked to her. She asked me what they felt like, where I felt them, if they affected my vision, etc. She checked my nerves in my brain responses (or something like that) and then determined that I could probably use some sort of medicine to help control them. However, she wouldn't prescribe me the pill that I can take and it gets rid of the migraine when I have it because it's known to raise blood pressure and that's too risky with my current borderline pressure and my family history.
So, she asked about my sleep patterns. And they suck. So she decided to put me on a very low dose of anti-depressant that is also used to prevent migraines. She said it should help me sleep (which could be a cause of the migraines) and hopefully will prevent them.
I'm hopeful that these pills help get rid of them (they've become pretty debilitating) but also scared that if they don't work, I have to start going in for testing to figure out WHY they're coming.

So here's to hoping that the pills help... And now it's off to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment